Week one: The Core
The beauty of a cheerleading team is that every person has a precise role on the team, and with out every other, the team does not exist. Period. Finish of discussion. In these subsequent series of articles, I will be sharing my skills with you. From stretching to Creating muscles, you will discover every little thing you need to have know to fly greater, throw tougher, lift greater, and flip for perfection! So lets start out from the best of the pyramid and perform our way down!
The flyer is the gravity defying individual you see getting thrown into the air or contorting their bodies into ridiculous shapes such as a “bow and arrow” and “scorpion” when balancing on a bunch of hands. Now would be the time that I ask you to rub your belly and pat you head whilst jumping in circles…kidding! Either way you appear at it, these girls need to have to be capable of Creating the audiences’ head spin! So if you believe your prepared to be a flyer or need to have to boost your flying abilities, read on!
Cheer flyers have a duel responsibility of becoming flexible and muscular. There are 3 critical attributes a flyer ought to have and bear in mind even though organizing a fitness routine: a robust legs and core, impeccable balance and extreme flexibility. Currently, we will start out with the most essential but most overlooked portion of the fitness routine for flyers: the core. I have gotten lots of, a lot of concerns from cheerleaders on why they’re off balance and why they’re very flexible but cannot function a toe touch. Here is the answer to each cheerleaders burning concerns on efficiency: if you have a robust core, you can stop injury, touch your toes and have impeccable balance. So here It’s. A how-to-construct-your-core list that will have you flying high in not time!
- Crunches: Start out by lying down on your back on an workout mat or the floor with your knees bent and your feet flat on the floor. Location your palms behind your head, elbows parallel with the ground and face towards the ceiling. Tighten your ab muscles and enhance your upper physique by way of your shoulders towards your knees. Hold the position for a second and then get into the beginning position once once again. Function in repetitions and enhance the repetitions gradually as your physique adapts to the workout.
- Side crunches: Think the beginning position of a crunch (see above). Drop your knees to 1 side on the floor but maintain them bent. Your physique will now be slightly on its side. Location your palms behind your head and inhale prior to you function the side crunch. You’ll be mainly making use of your oblique muscles to bring your physique up into a side crunch. Your side will bend as your shoulder lifts off the mat into the crunch. As you are coming up, slowly exhale. Be positive that your head remains in line with your neck the entire time you are performing the crunch to stop neck strain. Hold the position for a second and slowly lower your upper physique back to the floor. Repeat on that 1 side and then switch sides to work the side crunch working with your other set of oblique muscles. Function in repetitions and strengthen the repetitions gradually as your physique adapts to the exercising.
- Alternate Toe Touches: Start off by lying down on your back on an workout mat or the floor with your knees bent and with toes touching the floor. Location your palms behind your head, elbows parallel with the ground and face towards the ceiling. Keeping your correct knee bent, lift it though bringing your left arm up and out to touch the appropriate toe. Alternate, bringing your proper arm up to touch the left toe. Bear in mind to preserve the non-moving leg firmly on the floor. Work in repetitions and improve the repetitions gradually as your physique adapts to the workout. If your neck hurts, modify the physical exercise by holding your head with your hands and lifting it up towards the ceiling for each and every repetition. Continue to alternate legs.
- Leg Lifts: Begin by lying down on your back on an exercising mat or the floor with arms extended alongside the physique, palms down. Maintain your shoulders, head and lower back flat against the surface. Lift your legs up till they are at a proper angle to your hips. Lower your legs slowly and prevent inside a couple of inches above the floor. Hold your legs there for a few seconds. Slowly enhance your legs back to the beginning position and hold for a few seconds once again. Work in repetitions and strengthen the repetitions gradually as your physique adapts to the physical exercise. Also, begin the workout less difficult by lowering the legs to about a 30-degree angle. Strengthen the impact of your leg lifts by lowering your feet as close to the floor as doable.
- Super Mans: Lie facedown on an physical exercise mat or the floor. Maintain your legs together and straight, with your arms straight and extended above your head. Maintain your head and neck in a neutral position. Keeping your limbs straight (but not locked) and your torso stationary, lift your arms and legs up toward the ceiling at the very same time to form a gentle curve with your physique. You should literally think like Super Man flying via the air. Hold for a slow 30 counts. Keep in mind: do not hold your breath! Attempt to preserve breathing steady and even. If you have to have to make it much easier, hold the Super Man position for fewer counts and do not improve legs and arms pretty as high.
- Side Plank: Lie on your side with your correct hand on an physical exercise mat or the floor. If your a beginner, It’s advised to commence this exercising on your elbow. Lift oneself up to form a “plank” with your proper arm straight and your left arm on your side. Hold this position for a count of 8-12. If you require to take the Side Plank to the subsequent level, take your left hand and extend it to the ceiling. You may discover it less difficult to hold your balance by turning your head to gaze at your left hand. Repeat with the other side. Bear in mind to preserve your physique in a straight line, tightening your abs and butt muscles. No hunching forward! That is cheating! It is a excellent concept to commence in front of a mirror to discover the approach. Bear in mind to breathe! Attempt to preserve breathing steady and even all through the complete exercising.
Preserve up this fitness routine and you will have a washboard in no time. Come back once again this week to get the low-down on legs for cheerleading flyers!